What Are Sleep Disorders?
Sleep disorders are conditions that disrupt your normal sleep patterns. There are many disorders that can occur at night while you are sleeping that can cause health problems. All sleep disorders are treatable by a trained healthcare professional.
Sleep Disorders Include:
• Circadian Rhythm Disorders
• Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep (PLMS)
• REM Behavior Disorder (RBD)
• Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
• Shift Work Disorder
• Sleep Apnea
Signs of a Sleep Disorder
If you or a loved one feel overly tired during the day, you may have a true sleep disorder. There are many other signs of a sleep disorder including:
- You regularly take more than 30 minutes each night to fall asleep
- You regularly wake up several times each night and then have trouble falling back to sleep, or you wake up too early in the morning
- You often feel sleepy during the day, take frequent naps, or fall asleep at the wrong times during the day
- Your bed partner says that when you sleep, you snore loudly, snort, gasp, make choking sounds, or stop breathing for short periods
- You have creeping, tingling, or crawling feelings in your legs or arms that are relieved by moving or massaging them, especially in the evening and when trying to fall asleep
- Your bed partner notices that your legs or arms jerk often during sleep
- You have vivid, dreamlike experiences while falling asleep or dozing
- You have episodes of sudden muscle weakness when you are angry or fearful, or when you laugh
- You feel as though you cannot move when you first wake up
Sleep Center at Comprehensive Can Help
If you or friend or family member suffers from a sleep disorder, call us to set up an appointment to see how we can help.