Parasomnias are a series of unwanted events that occur when falling asleep, sleeping or waking up.
These events include abnormal movements, behaviors, emotions, perceptions or dreams that you have no memory of upon waking. Parasomnias make it difficult to get a full night sleep.
Parasomnias Signs & Symptoms Can Include
• Confusional arousal – being confused and acting strange when waking up
• Sleepwalking – getting out of bed and walking or running around
• Sleep terrors – waking up with intense fear
• Sleep eating disorder – binge eating when you are partially awake
• REM sleep behavior disorder – acting our vivid dreams
• Sleep paralysis – being unable to move when you sleep
• Nightmares – bad dreams making it difficult to return to sleep
• Bedwetting – urinating during sleep
• Sleep hallucinations – hallucinations during sleep that seem real
• Exploding head syndrome – hearing loud imaginary noises when falling asleep or waking up
• Sleep talking – having loud, nonsensical conversations
Treatment for Parasomnias
If you or a loved one suffers from one of these symptoms, it could impact your daily life. Contact Sleep Center at Comprehensive today to schedule a sleep study, so we can help you identify an appropriate treatment plan.
About Sleep Center at Comprehensive
The Sleep Center at Comprehensive, a division of Comprehensive Cancer Centers and Lung Center of Nevada, provides patients with sleep disorders with a wide range of treatment options for those in Southern Nevada and beyond.